Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 8: Lectures

~Monday July 1, 2013~

First off, happy July! Not much pictures today. I still feel a little weird taking pictures of people I don't really know, especially when they're talking. I feel like I would cause a distraction if I whip out my camera while a person is talking. And it was obvious that everyone was tired from the beach trip yesterday.

We visited the program with women's development research center at USM, they call themselves Kanita. They work with single mothers in rural areas to develop their skills and potential as contributors to the household and to support themselves. We discussed a lot about the women's role in the household and her rights and the challenges she faces with raising a family, having a career, and her marriage. Their research consists of gender and social equality, health, policy and law, sustainable development, and leadership.

There was also a brief lecture with the program of basic education research unit. It was cut short due to the dean who was speaking had to leave for an important meeting. The Malaysian education system is quite odd. At the age of 15 the decision the student make about what career they're interested is some thing they are with stuck forever. In the USA, anyone can become a doctor or any career if they do the required courses and pass the exams or change your career in the middle of your life. In Malaysia it's not that way. If I made my career choice I would be in journalism most likely.

USM goodies!
 photo july1_zps9325c64a.jpg
We keep eating at Korean cafes. Two of my friends are K-everything fans. 
 photo july1a_zps43d3c951.jpg