Saturday, July 6, 2013

Day 12: Lectures

~Friday July 5, 2013~

I didn't really take notes on the first lecture entitled CSR: The sustainability Context by Ellisha Nasruddin. I did listen attentively to her, but then I was confused towards the end of lecture because I left to go to the bathroom. Anyway, she talked about sustainability and business. CSR means corporate social responsibility. Do you believe corporations are the blame of negative social and environmental impacts or the solution? 

Lunch break! I really enjoy teh tarik tea...it's soooo good! In many of my food pictures you can see this drink is included. Everyone must try it!! One of the things I look forward to and it keeps me awake.

We also visited the Penang Medical College. They talked to us about their students and the programs that the students participate in like health surveys in rural villages, performing basic health check ups in remote areas. They want their medical students to not only learn to become doctors, but be able to communicate to their patients. We also learned about Dr. Wu Lien Teh who is a Malay born doctor, but is quite famous in China; he is relatively unknown in Penang (his birthplace). He was the first Chinese descent student to study at Cambridge University. While the pneumonic plague was ravaging China he was the one who suggested to to cremate the victims, in which the plague was suppressed.
 photo day12_zpsb10d3542.jpg
Again, sorry for vague information. It's been a long day of roaming around Penang since weekends are free and it's really late right now...me super tired!